Long Day for McCain in Final 24 Hours
From CBS News' John Bentley:
(MIAMI) – Seven rallies in seven states. That's the plan for John McCain today as he tries to cover as much ground as possible in the final 24 hours before Election Day, kicking it off with a Florida rally in Tampa. That's followed by trips to Blountville, Tennessee (conveniently sandwiched between the two battleground states of North Carolina and Virginia), Moon Township, Pennsylvania (outside Pittsburgh), Indianapolis, Roswell, New Mexico, Henderson, Nevada, and a final stop in the place where he has traditionally held his last political event of his campaigns, Prescott, Arizona.
McCain got a very early start on the day with a rally last night here in Miami just after midnight. "We've got one day left, one day left until we take America in a new direction. And we need your support on November the 4th and I need you out there. With your help we will win," McCain told a very enthusiastic crowd of 8,000, one of the best he has had on the trail. "We gotta have all of our rallies at this time of night, I'm telling you."
He'll need the help. The latest CBS News/New York Times poll shows Barack Obama with a doouble digit lead in the national polls, 54% to 41%.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 102 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 104 Comments
- Obama announces steps toward Guantanamo closure