Palin: Obama's "Phony" Tax Plan Is Unraveling
From CBS News' Scott Conroy:
(YORK, PA.) - For the second day in a row, Sarah Palin focused the entirety of her attacks against Barack Obama on the Democratic nominee's tax plan, rather than his personal associations.
"Just yesterday, we learned that America's GDP actually fell in the third quarter of this year, and that confirms what we already know, and that's that our economy right now is shrinking," Palin said. "This is the worst possible time to raise taxes, but Barack Obama still wants to."
Palin repeated her mantra that Obama has "an ideological commitment" that compels him to raise taxes.
"Now, his whole tax plan, really, it is, it's so phony that it's already starting to unravel, and we're gonna call it the way that we see it," she said.
Palin said that Obama's definition of what constitutes the middle class seems to be evolving.
"And just this morning, Gov. Bill Richardson, a top surrogate for the Obama campaign, he who is working so hard to get Obama elected, Richardson said Obama's tax plan would define middle class as $120,000 a year and under," Palin said. "So now, we're down to less than half the original income level and, just give it a little more time, and Barack Obama will be back to raising taxes on folks earning $42,000 a year."
Appearing on KOAM radio this morning, Richardson said, "What Obama wants to do is he is basically looking at $120,000 and under among those that are in the middle class, and there is a tax cut for those," according to a YouTube clip of the interview.
Richardson's comments appear to have been a slip of the tongue, since the Obama campaign has not announced that it has changed its policy that everyone making less than $200,000 a year would get a tax cut and no one making under $250,000 a year would be burdened with a tax increase.
Popular in Politics
- IRS scandal highlights leadership vacancies
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 705 Comments
- Top Obama officials knew about IRS probe, says WH
- Immigration bill would require fingerprinting at 30 airports
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 490 Comments
- Benghazi-disciplined diplomat a prolific poet
- Both parties vow to "get to the bottom" of IRS scandal 285 Comments