"Broadway" Sarah Palin Guarantees Pa. Victory
From CBS News' Scott Conroy:
(BEAVER, Pa.) The high school football stadium here was an appropriate setting for Sarah Palin to borrow a play from a local gridiron legend and make her own bold prediction.
"This morning we were in Ohio—we were in the home of Joe The Plumber," Palin said. "And now we are here in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, home of Joe The Quarterback."
Palin told members of the Beaver Bobcats team, who were introduced to the cheering crowd before she took the stage, that the legendary Joe Namath may have been before their time. The Alaska governor herself was not yet five years old when Super Bowl III—the game that marked Namath's finest hour—was played in January of 1969.
"But do you remember though in the biggest game of his life?" she asked. "All the experts had Joe Namath and the Jets written off to defeat. They were up against the elite team that had all the money and they were held in awe by the media."
The electoral metaphor firmly established, it wasn't hard to guess what was coming next.
"And Broadway Joe replied, 'We're gonna win the game, I guarantee it,'" Palin said. "And they won, and I hope Joe won't mind if I paraphrase him some in this state, his home state. Pennsylvania, with your help, we're going to win this state. I guarantee it."
Popular in Politics
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 673 Comments
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- House passes GOP bill to speed Keystone XL pipeline approval
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Obama to view Oklahoma tornado damage Sunday
- Former Miss America might challenge McConnell
- WH says criticism of its handling of IRS story is "legitimate"
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"