McCain Campaigns in Wisconsin Today
From CBS News' John Bentley:
(MILWAUKEE) – It will be a day of cheeseheads, bratwursts, and talk of Green Bay football for the next day and a half for John McCain. He holds the first of three Wisconsin rallies at noon today with Sarah Palin in the traditional Republican stronghold of Waukesha, followed by an afternoon event in conservative Mosinee.
McCain's campaign has indicated that they are trying to shore up areas of support, rather than expand the electoral map and try to turn more Democratic areas to the Republican side. While the race here in Wisconsin was tight a few weeks ago, Barack Obama and Joe Biden have opened up a five point lead in the latest polls.
The presidential race has been tight in Wisconsin the past eight years, with Democrats Al Gore and John Kerry winning the state by only a few thousand votes. No Republican candidate has won the state, though, since 1984.
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 122 Comments
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 261 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 456 Comments
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows
- Senators: U.S. must take "more decisive" military action in Syria
- Obama renews push for a nuclear disarmament legacy