Robert Duvall Calls McCain's Pick of Palin "Brilliant"
From CBS News' John Bentley:
(ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) – Were Robert Duvall and James Caan the only people in America to know about Sarah Palin being named as John McCain's running mate? Probably not, but when Duvall introduced Sarah Palin at the rally here tonight, he talked about watching her on TV a year ago and not knowing who she was, but being impressed.
A few weeks ago, Duvall said, he was talking to James Caan (he calls him "Jimmy") who agreed. After the pick, Caan told him McCain "pulled a brilliant military move" by naming her to the ticket.
Apparently a proponent of domestic drilling, Duvall held a sign that said "Drill Here! Drill Now!" as the McCain and Palin families entered the arena. He introduced the vice presidential hopeful by saying he if he knew 20 years ago what he knows now about Palin, he would have changed the ending of "Lonesome Dove," one of his many films.
"Instead of stopping the cattle drive in Montana, we'd have gone all the way to the great state of Alaska," Duvall said.
Popular in Politics
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 317 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 333 Comments
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 113 Comments
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 406 Comments
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 261 Comments
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 242 Comments