Obama: "We're Not Going To Mess With" Americans' Guns
From CBS News' Maria Gavrilovic:
(DURYEA, PA.) It's been almost 6 months since Obama suggested that people cling to guns because they are bitter, a.k.a. "bitter-gate," but he is still plagued by questions about his position on gun control. At a town hall meeting today, a voter told Obama that there are rumors that he is going to take away guns. "People love hunting," the man told Obama.
Obama said he is aware that the issue is being "peddled again and again," but he assured the crowd that he will not take away guns that are legally obtained.
"I believe in the Second Amendment, and if you are a law-abiding gun owner, you have nothing to fear from an Obama administration!"
Obama said his support for gun safety measures – such as background checks- does not mean that he opposes all gun ownership.
"Now, the NRA sometimes... their general attitude is look, we don't want anything, and if you even breathe the word 'gun control' or 'gun safety,' then you must want to take away everybody's guns. Well, that's just not true," he said adding that illegal guns are his concern, not those used for sportsmanship.
He also keenly noted that even if he intended to take away guns, he would not have the power to do so as president. "I couldn't get it done. I don't have the votes in Congress."
As he wrapped up his rather lengthy explanation, Obama urged the crowd to look at his policies on the economy and health care rather than gun control.
"This can't be the reason not to vote for me," Obama said, "Because your guns... we're not going to mess with them... spread the word with your friends."
Popular in Politics
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 696 Comments
- Top Obama officials knew about IRS probe, says WH
- Immigration bill would require fingerprinting at 30 airports
- IRS scandal highlights leadership vacancies
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 479 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama
- Both parties vow to "get to the bottom" of IRS scandal 280 Comments