A McCain Riddle: What Do Lance Armstrong and Barack Obama Have in Common?
From CBS News' John Bentley:
(COLUMBUS, OHIO) – John McCain took the stage with Lance Armstrong tonight at the LIVESTRONG summit where they mostly talked about funding for cancer research, but he couldn't resist getting in a shot in at the press and at his opponent who declined an invitation to attend because of his European trip. "You have billed this event as a Presidential Town Hall, and I sincerely hope that the next president is here today," McCain said. "My opponent, of course, is traveling in Europe, and tomorrow his tour takes him to France. In a scene Lance would recognize, a throng of adoring fans awaits Sen. Obama in Paris – and that's just the American press."
Armstrong also asked what McCain did to stay fit. The Arizona senator said he enjoyed hiking and swimming, and mentioned that he hiked the Grand Canyon with his son. But that apparently wasn't enough to impress the seven-time Tour de France winner. Armstrong mentioned he was recently asked who he would rather work out with, McCain or Obama. McCain said he had seen that interview, and the answer was a good-natured, "neither one of them could hang with me."
In addition to the town hall, McCain also came to Ohio to raise money. Prior to the event, McCain attended a fundraiser at the home of the richest man in Ohio, Leslie H. Wexner, the founder of The Limited clothing stores. One of the attendees was Rob Portman, who has been mentioned as a possible running mate for McCain. Portman is currently an attorney in the Cincinnati office of the firm Squire, Sanders & Dempsey, but was also a Congressman for eight years, and most recently served as the director of the Office of Management and Budget.
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 259 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 423 Comments
- Senators: U.S. must take "more decisive" military action in Syria
- Obama renews push for a nuclear disarmament legacy
- GOP Sen. Murkowski backs same-sex marriage