Obama: "I don't speak a foreign language. It's embarrassing!"
From CBS News' Maria Gavrilovic:
(DAYTON, OHIO) "I don't speak a foreign language. It's embarrassing!" Barack Obama exclaimed today at town hall meeting here. Obama, who often touts his time growing up overseas, made the confession while speaking about the importance of teaching foreign languages in schools.
Obama came under fire by conservative groups earlier this week, after he said that more Americans should learn a foreign language.
At town hall meeting in Powder Spring, Georgia on Tuesday, Obama said, "It's embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe and all we can say is merci beaucoup, right?"
The group Americans for Legal Immigration, which says they're "supporting candidates who make illegal immigration reduction a top priority", blasted Obama, saying that he has "stepped on a political land mine by stating Americans should be forced to learn to speak Spanish."
Obama brushed off the criticism today, saying that immigrants should learn English but that Americans should learn a foreign language as well. "You know, this is an example of some of the problems we get into when somebody attacks you for saying the truth," he said, "which is we should want children with more knowledge."
Popular in Politics
- FBI: Surveillance info helped reveal subway, stock exchange bombings 202 Comments
- Jesse Jackson Jr. asks to serve jail sentence before wife
- Obama: "Very easy to slip-slide" into deeper Syrian involvement
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 248 Comments
- IRS scandal: Is partisanship overshadowing facts? 167 Comments
- Snowden: U.S. gov't destroyed my chance for fair trial 299 Comments
- Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voting law 929 Comments
- Former critic McCaskill pushes for Hillary Clinton 2016 bid