Clinton's Hunting History
From CBS News' Fernando Suarez:
WAUSAU, WIS. -- At a campaign stop this afternoon, Hillary Clinton's focus was on the economy and health care but some in the crowd had other things on their minds. Clinton was asked to discuss gun control which prompted Clinton to talk about her days holding a rifle in the cold, shallow waters in backwoods Arkansas.
"I've hunted. My father taught me how to hunt. I went duck hunting in Arkansas. I remember standing in that cold water, so cold, at first light. I was with a bunch of my friends, all men. The sun's up, the ducks are flying and they are playing a trick on me. They said, 'we're not going to shoot, you shoot.' They wanted to embarrass me. The pressure was on. So I shot, and I shot a banded duck and they were surprised as I was," Clinton said drawing laughter from the crowd.
Clinton's story led one older gentleman to say, "As long as you know how to use a gun, would you be willing to show Vice President Cheney how to use his?" Both Clinton and the crowd erupted in laughter.
"That was good, that was really good," Clinton said. "You know I couldn't believe that, I really thought that I have gotten over being totally outraged by the Bush Administration."
Clinton continued, "Once he (Cheney) is out of office, the Secret Service is not around to protect people from him. We better be careful about where he goes hunting. Safety protocol would be useful, don't' you think?"
Later Clinton was asked whether her daughter Chelsea would run for president in eight years following a Hillary Clinton presidency, to which an amused Clinton said, "Oh no, no, no."
Popular in Politics
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 217 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 50 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 422 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups 71 Comments
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare 48 Comments
- Immigration deal reached in House