Schwarzenegger Likely To Endorse McCain
CBS News has learned that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is likely to endorse Sen. John McCain, whom he considers a close friend, before the California primary -- perhaps as early as tomorrow.
According to the Los Angeles Times, Schwarzenegger, who is also close to Rudy Giuliani, had said he would not endorse a candidate "out of deference to friends in the race." But Giuliani's withdrawal from the race today cleared the way for a possible Schwarzenegger endorsement of McCain before the Feb. 5th primary in his state.
Schwarzenegger, who spoke at a news conference before the Republican presidential debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif., this evening, told CNN he would not be addressing the endorsement question today.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 97 Comments
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 103 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 104 Comments
- Obama announces steps toward Guantanamo closure
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military