Instagram re-design adds photo maps
The biggest change is the introduction of the photo map. Instagram users that enable location service will be able to see their photos on a map.
After launching the updated version of Instagram, users can choose which photos will be ported over to the map. The option to add a location to the map will appear every time a user posts a photo.
Instagram photos already use location services, but this update presents a visual collection of where a user's photos are taken.The update is available for Apple and Android smartphones.
Instagram launched for the iPhone in 2010. The app lets users upload or take photos and apply filters to get a similar look and feel of lo-fi photography. After photos are processed users can immediate be broadcast to other Instagram users, Twitter or Facebook via the app.
Facebook announced its intentions to acquire the app for $1 billion in April. The deal is still pending approval from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Popular in SciTech
- Apple's next iPhone may be coming in June
- Greatest threat to Africa's white lions: American hunters Play Video
- Thousands online proclaim: Jahar Tsarnaev is innocent
- "God particle": Why the Higgs boson matters
- Alternatives to Google Reader
- Apple's iPhone 6 may have bigger screen, analyst says
- Beam this up: Creating the sounds of "Star Trek"
- 40 years later: Why the Endangered Species Act still matters