Forget fireworks, celebrate these American tech inventions
(CBS News) Happy birthday, America! To honor the independent spirit that gave birth to this nation, we are highlighting some of the inventions that have contributed to modern computer technology.
Ever wonder when the QWERY keyboard layout was introduced? It's hard to believe that an invention by two Milwaukee, Wis. men in 1868 influences the way we type our words today.
Did you ever hear about the memo that gave birth to the Internet? Legend has it that a 1963 note kicked off a chain of events that changed our lives forever.
And don't forget about the odd location where the first mobile phone call was made. We can thank AT&T for making it happen.
Check out the photo essay below to see what piece of game-changing technology was "Made in the U.S.A."
Popular in SciTech
- Airborne laser reveals hidden city in Cambodia
- Solar plane lands at Dulles Airport Play Video
- Chinese supercomputer named world's fastest
- Last telegram ever to be sent July 14
- NASA unveils plans to capture asteroids
- Valentina Tereshkova: First woman in space 13 Photos
- Was there a rape joke at Microsoft's Xbox One event?
- NASA picks 8 new astronauts, 4 of them women