Zynga announces FarmVille 2, social network
(CBS News) Zynga announced Tuesday the sequel to its popular game FarmVille. The social gaming company unveiled the game at the Zynga Unleashed event in San Francisco.
FarmVille is a free flash game where players simulate farming activities, like growing and harvesting crops. The game is typically connected through Facebook, it is considered social because players can make progress in the game with the help of friends.
Farmville 2 will be like an evolution of its predecessor, but the sequel will be Zynga's first 3D game. Bad news for current FarmVille players: Current games will not be ported over to the new version.
Zynga also announced several other games, a new social network called Zynga with Friends and an application programming interface (API) that will let third-parties create games on is platform.
Other games that were announced include Matching with Friends, The Ville and Ruby Blast.
Matching with Friends is a social puzzle game where players match blocks together, similar to the game dynamic of Words with Friends. The Ville is a life simulation game that is follows in the footsteps of The Sims. Players will be able to create virtual characters and build homes. Ruby Blast is a puzzle game that is similar to Bejeweled.
Zynga launched in 2007 and went public in December 2011. The company reports 232 million monthly active users.
Popular in SciTech
- Watch: NASA captures Okla. tornado from space Play Video
- Microsoft announces Xbox One
- Storms that spawned deadly Oklahoma tornadoes seen from space (video)
- Power of Okla. tornado surpassed Hiroshima bomb
- Microsoft announces Xbox One 16 Photos
- The 7 weirdest things made by 3D printing
- First look at the Xbox One Play Video
- Calif. teen wins Intel Science Research competition Play Video