Facebook quietly removes 'test' friend-finding feature
(CNET) Facebook has quietly removed a controversial feature that would let users on mobile devices find other Facebook users nearby, even if they weren't friends with them on the popular social network.
Facebook adds 'Find Friends Nearby' feature for Web, mobile
With friend-finders like these, Facebook may find itself sued
A Facebook spokesperson declined to comment on the removal of the feature. In an earlier statement, the company said the feature was not "a formal release," and instead was something "a few engineers were testing."
"With all tests, some get released as full products, others don't," the company said.
This article originally appeared on CNET.
Popular in SciTech
- Watch: NASA captures Okla. tornado from space Play Video
- Microsoft announces Xbox One
- The 7 weirdest things made by 3D printing
- Weird pirate ant comes with an "eye patch"
- Microsoft announces Xbox One 16 Photos
- Storms that spawned deadly Oklahoma tornadoes seen from space (video)
- Amazon proposes a colossal biospherelike Seattle campus
- Power of Okla. tornado surpassed Hiroshima bomb