Facebook experiences temporary crash, back online
(CBS) - Social networking giant Facebook experienced sporadic outages Thursday evening causing users to take to Twitter to voice their displeasure (instead of just going outside).
Reuters reports that user suffered anywhere between a half an hour to two hours of down time. The outage appeared to have begun around 4:26 p.m., according to users complaining on Twitter.
The company has since released a statement acknowledging the outage and saying the issue has been resolved.
"Earlier today, some users briefly experienced issues loading the site. The issues have since been resolved and everyone should now have access to Facebook," Facebook spokesman Michael Kirkland told the news organization.
It isn't clear what caused the site to go down, but this isn't the first time Facebook has crashed. According to Forbes, the site was down in 2010 due to a database error. It also went dark briefly earlier this year.
Facebook through the years
Popular in SciTech
- iPhone 5S and low-cost iPhone said to be multicolored
- Weird pirate ant comes with an "eye patch"
- Amazon proposes a colossal biospherelike Seattle campus
- Jennifer Lopez to open Verizon cellphone stores
- Apple's next iPhone may be coming in June
- The 7 weirdest things made by 3D printing
- Alternatives to Google Reader
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View