Diablo III breaks PC-game launch record
"We're definitely thrilled that so many people around the world were excited to pick up their copy of Diablo III and jump in the moment it went live," Mike Morhaime, chief executive officer of Blizzard, said in a press release.
Blizzard claims Diablo III is the fastest-selling PC-game launch in history. The game was so popular that the servers crashed on launch day. Morhaime reiterated a previous apology the company released.
"We also regret that our preparations were not enough to ensure everyone had a seamless experience when they did so. I want to reaffirm our commitment to make sure the millions of Diablo III players out there have a great experience with the game moving forward, and I also want to thank them for their ongoing support."
Diablo III is an action role-playing game (RPG) that is the long-awaited third installment of the Diablo franchise. Players are immersed in a dark online fantasy world where they will embark on an epic quest. The game will have all of the elements of a typical RPG, such as picking up items and character classes. The last iteration of the game was released in June 2000.
The game officially launched on May 15 in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and parts of Asia.
Popular in SciTech
- Last telegram ever to be sent July 14
- NASA unveils plans to capture asteroids
- Airborne laser reveals hidden city in Cambodia
- Solar plane lands at Dulles Airport Play Video
- Chinese supercomputer named world's fastest
- Privacy officials request details on Google Glass
- Was there a rape joke at Microsoft's Xbox One event?
- Alternatives to Google Reader