YouTube's top videos of 2011
(CBS) - YouTube launched its official Rewind 2011 channel today, recounting the top videos of the year.
Thought you left Rebecca Black's music video "Friday" in the past? Think again. The young singer landed on the list and was picked to introduce YouTube's "Rewind 2011: The Year in Review."
If you visit the channel, it has a neat timeline of "moments that defined YouTube in 2011." Everything from my personal favorite, Honey Badger, to those adorable senior citizens captured via webcam is showcased.
One of the most touching moments include Air Force member Randy Phillips coming out to his parents on the day before the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy was repealed. It certainly was one of the best examples of humanity broadcasted to the video site's community.
YouTube reports there were over 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion) playbacks in 2011.Those are some staggering numbers.
So who made the cut? Here are the top 10 most watched videos of 2011, starting with No. 10:
Popular in SciTech
- Russian tycoon seeks human immortality by 2045
- NASA picks 8 new astronauts, 4 of them women
- Valentina Tereshkova: First woman in space 13 Photos
- Tech companies release new details on FISA requests
- Apple unveils overhaul of iOS 7, new iTunes Radio
- "Tweet" added to Oxford English Dictionary
- Facebook may unveil Instagram video on June 20
- Was there a rape joke at Microsoft's Xbox One event?