Super Mario Bros. turns 26!
(CBS) - Happy 26th birthday Super Mario Bros.!
Super Mario Bros. launched on September 13, 1985, in Japan. The title, which allowed players to take on the role of Mario in his trek to save Princess Peach, was the best-selling video game of all time for over 20 years before it was eventually ousted by Wii Sports in 2009.
The original release of the game sold 40 million units worldwide.
The importance of Super Mario Bros. to the gaming industry should not be underestimated: it influenced slews of titles that followed and was responsible for the success of the Nintendo Entertainment System.
The very fact that a title is being celebrated years after release is a wonder in and of itself. Unlike so many other titular characters who have fallen out of the spotlight, Mario, Luigi and his gang of friends and foes still captivate audiences to this day.
According to CNET News, the Guinness Book of World Records dubbed Mario the "The Godfather of Gaming" in 2010.
Super Mario Bros. through the years
Popular in SciTech
- Take a billion-pixel tour of Mars
- Baby named Like after Facebook button
- Airborne laser reveals hidden city in Cambodia
- Apple TV gets HBO GO, WatchESPN
- Privacy officials request details on Google Glass
- NASA unveils plans to capture asteroids
- Solar plane lands at Dulles Airport Play Video
- Draft House bill threatens $1 billion in NASA funding cuts