Facebook "friends tattoo" turns out to be hoax
Somewhere, some place, I can hear the grumbling of an old school sort warning the young'uns not to believe everything they read or see on the Internet. And here's another reminder why it's wise to follow that advice: The much-reported story of a woman said to have tattooed 152 friends' Facebook default profile pics on her arm turns out to be a hoax.
According to the Dutch paper Telegraaf, Rotterdam tattoo artist Dex Moelker fessed up to pulling off what amounts to an advertising stunt.
"It is a try out tattoo, a transfer, that washes off in a couple of days," Moelker told the paper.
The tech website Mashable contacted the woman featured in the video, who said she wanted to remain anonymous. "Because of the amazing interest worldwide I can't respond to all of the questions unfortunately," she told Mashable. "I will try to give a statement tomorrow."
Popular in SciTech
- Watch: NASA captures Okla. tornado from space Play Video
- Microsoft announces Xbox One
- The 7 weirdest things made by 3D printing
- Microsoft announces Xbox One 16 Photos
- Weird pirate ant comes with an "eye patch"
- Storms that spawned deadly Oklahoma tornadoes seen from space (video)
- Amazon proposes a colossal biospherelike Seattle campus
- Power of Okla. tornado surpassed Hiroshima bomb