Wikipedia Raises $16M to Remain Ad-Free
In his online appeal, the organization's founder Jimmy Wales wrote that Wikipedia needed the funds to remain ad-free.
The foundation, which is the non-profit parent of Wikipedia, said that more than 500,000 donated in 2010, compared to the 230,000 people who contributed money in 2009.
The average donation was $22.
"This fundraiser had all the ingredients of what we love about Wikimedia projects: people come together, contribute what they have, and together we do something amazing ... and the result is that we're able to sustain and support this joint endeavor for another year," Wales said in his post. "So now, we'll celebrate."
Popular in SciTech
- Weird pirate ant comes with an "eye patch"
- Watch: NASA captures Okla. tornado from space Play Video
- Amazon proposes a colossal biospherelike Seattle campus
- The 7 weirdest things made by 3D printing
- Microsoft announces Xbox One
- Xbox One Press Conference
- Microsoft announces Xbox One 16 Photos
- NASA funds 3D pizza printer