Tony Bennett honored on Valentine's Day in SF
Tony Bennett sings "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" during a sound check for a Valentine's Day benefit concert in the Venetian Room at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco, Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2012. Bennett returned the hotel to celebrate the 50th anniversary of where he first performed his signature song. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg) / Eric Risberg
The San Francisco Chronicle reports (http://bit.ly/wfh1Ms ) that a symphony, children's chorus and the Gay Men's Chorus all sang the famous song to Bennett during a ceremony he attended on Tuesday.
The tune had its first public performance in December 1961 in the Venetian Room of the Fairmont Hotel, where Bennett was scheduled to sing later Tuesday night.
Bennett's version of the song was being played throughout the city on radio and in public performances at Union Square in honor of the holiday.
The song has become a part of San Francisco culture, and is played after every home victory for the Giants.
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com
Popular in Entertainment
- James Gandolfini dead at 51
- James Gandolfini: 1961-2013 21 Photos
- Watch: Miley Cyrus' trippy "We Can't Stop" music video
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 145 Comments
- James Franco blasts "Spider-Man" reboot
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stars pay tribute to James Gandolfini