Katie Couric's Notebook: Teen Pregnancy
Teen Pregancy Rate Increases
The reasons aren't clear, but it came amid an increase in funding for programs that taught kids only about abstinence and nothing about contraception. The Obama administration has since cut money for that approach, but it's too soon to see any effect.
We should teach our kids to say no to sex. Some will listen ... but others won't. So, they also need to know how to protect themselves. Given the consequences of STD's and unplanned pregnancy, these are decisions teens will have to live with for the rest of their lives. Having some of the facts just isn't good enough.
That's a page from my notebook.
I'm Katie Couric, CBS News.
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"
- CBS News goes undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Parents ask why Okla. schools don't have tornado shelters
- 5/22: Residents return to tornado-ravaged neighborhoods; Undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Oklahoma family narrowly escaped death during tornado
- Injured third-grade teacher tells of trying to protect students
- Survivors pulled from Okla. school hit by tornado
- Residents return to tornado-ravaged neighborhoods
- 94-year-old opened storm shelter to neighbors as tornado approached
- Oklahoma family tells amazing story of survival
- 5/21: Tornado in Moore, Okla., was an EF5, the most powerful there is
- Oklahoma tornado survivor: "Everything is gone"
- Undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Friend implicates Boston bombing suspect in triple homicide