Katie Couric's Notebook: Cankles
Now, there's a new imperfection to add to the list: cankles.
The term refers to the area where the calf meets the ankle - and apparently it has to be lean. Gold's Gym declared July "Cankles Awareness Month" and plastic surgeons are now performing liposuction on ankles.
The word itself is something of a joke - like muffin top or spare tire - but the concept has really taken off. Hillary Clinton is sometimes teased for having cankles and teen queen Miley Cyrus complains about them in her autobiography. The Wall Street Journal just ran a story about the anti-cankle craze.
It's all a bit much.
As we enjoy the dog days of August, let's hope women throw on their summer dresses and bathing suits, and work harder on loving and accepting their bodies, rather than perfecting them.
That's a page from my notebook.
I'm Katie Couric, CBS News.
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"
- Survivors pulled from Okla. school hit by tornado
- Oklahoma tornado survivor: "Everything is gone"
- Injured third-grade teacher tells of trying to protect students
- Okla. family mourns child killed at school following tornado
- Tornado in Moore, Okla., was an EF5, the most powerful there is
- 5/21: Plaza Towers Elementary School: A look at the damage; Tornado injuries: A doctor's point of view
- At least 51 dead after tornado strikes Oklahoma City suburb
- 5/20: Deadly tornado strikes Okla.; Fmr. Cincinnati IRS office worker speaks out
- Oklahoma native's home destroyed for the second time
- Mother and daughter share stories of survival
- 5/21: Family's last-minute decision likely saved their lives; Closer look reveals extent of destruction in Moore
- Saving the kids: One teacher's mission to keep her class safe
- The next day: Search-and-rescue operations become search-and-recovery efforts
- Agent: I was ordered to let U.S. guns into Mexico