I mean, really, does a dog need a service record complete with all his merits … and demerits (he once ate a Marine's hat). But it shows the lengths the Marines will go to in order to cultivate their public image.
Chesty is an English bulldog – those pug noses and jutting lower jaw are bred to make them better able to hold on once they sink their teeth in – and he's named after Chesty Puller, the most decorated Marine in history. He is, in other words, the perfect symbol of the Marine Corps.
The Chesty in our story is the 12th in a line of Chestys, and when he retires after this Friday night's parade, he will be replaced by Chesty XIII.
The parade is a whole other story about the Marine Corps' image. It's held ever Friday night during warm weather in honor of some VIP and open to the public. Each summer thousands of tourists watch the Marine Corps silent drill team perform – another perfect Marine symbol, this time of precision and discipline. It's not by accident that through the worst of the Iraq War the Marines never seemed to have trouble finding enough recruits.
- David Martin
David Martin is CBS News' National Security Correspondent.
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- 5/23: Obama: The war on terror, "like all wars, must end"; baby born as tornado struck
- Oklahoma miracle baby -- born amidst tornado chaos
- Teacher injured in Okla. tornado takes first steps
- Survivor of Bangladesh factory collapse speaks out
- CBS News goes undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- Injured third-grade teacher tells of trying to protect students
- Resentment over wars may have motivated London terror attack
- President Obama defends drone strikes
- Mother-to-be was in labor as Oklahoma tornado hit
- Angry Pakistanis fight to end U.S. drone strikes
- Parents ask why Okla. schools don't have tornado shelters
- Did Obama admin. know of IRS targeting during campaign?
- 5/22: Residents return to tornado-ravaged neighborhoods; Undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory