Katie Couric's Notebook: Obama's Background
Is America ready to elect a President whose connections with Islam were the subject of rumor and innuendo?
Barack Obama has arguably the most diverse religious background of any candidate, ever. He was raised in Indonesia by a Christian mother and Muslim stepfather, and attended a Catholic school, but while growing up, also studied Islam. That background sparked rumors that he had studied in a radical madrasa, or Koranic school – rumors later disproved . Obama is now a practicing Christian.
Last month, the Los Angeles Times interviewed a person who grew up with Obama. In the LA Times article he said, "We prayed in the mosque, but not seriously," noting that Obama also prayed with his Catholic schoolmates. In a later Chicago Tribune article, however, the source said he was not certain whether they prayed together.
It's too soon to know what America will decide about Barack Obama or his background.
But it's not too soon to wonder if America will see that background as an asset...or a liability.
- Calif. dollars add to growing Powerball jackpot
- WH Benghazi emails have different quotes than earlier reported
- 8-year-old fights to get WWII vet recognition he deserves
- 5/17: Congress grills acting IRS commissioner: the student and the vet
- Domestic violence victim: "I was a prisoner in my own home"
- 5/16: Texas tornadoes leave path of destruction; Are Afghan troops ready to take over?
- Congress grills acting IRS commissioner
- Preview: The student and the vet
- On the road: The student and the vet
- Boston bombing victim's battle for recovery just beginning
- Texas tornado survivor found neighbor's house in backyard
- The power of a uniquely American song
- How a "chance" question sparked IRS scandal
- Motive discovered for Boston marathon bombings
- Judgment against alleged Fla. bully surprises everyone
- Texas tornadoes leave path of destruction