@katiecouric: A Bloodbath For Dems in November?
With the Senate is back in session today, @katiecouric this week features a conversation with two Senators who are not seeking re-election - Senator Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) and Senator Kit Bond (R-Mo.).
What do these two outgoing senators think of the job President Obama's doing? Bond said he's concerned that "he (Obama) got people energized with his promise. Now he's gotten a lot more people energized when they see his programs. And in Missouri - they are very much concerned that the tab is on our children and grandchildren's credit card."
Bayh thinks Obama was "dealt a very tough hand." But he's concerned his advisors are "very idealistic people." He added, "rather than playing the hand of cards they were dealt, they wanted to play the hand of cards they wished they'd been dealt." Bayh said they "overreached their mandate a bit. And, part of that is going to be reflected in the polls this fall."
So why not run for another term? Bayh said Congress "tends to reward people who are more partisan, more ideological, and not quite as pragmatic." Twenty five years ago, Bond's mother suggested that he get "out of government, and got a real job."
Why are things so partisan in Congress? Bayh thinks there's "blame to go around on all sides."
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- 5/24: I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle; "On the Road": Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- Jersey Shore heads into summer with high hopes
- 5/25: Cold start to summer season for Sandy-impacted shore towns; Therapy dogs help victims in distress
- I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- "Crunch time" for Jersey Shore businesses after Sandy
- Okla. residents' dilemma after tornadoes: Stay or move?
- The forecaster who sounded the alarm for Moore, Okla.
- Therapy dogs help victims in distress
- More arrests in connection with London terror attack
- Sibling rivalry takes a backseat after Okla. tornado
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- Tornado victims question whether to stay and rebuild or leave
- Did Obama admin. know of IRS targeting during campaign?
- The power of a uniquely American song
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"