Ford recalls 2013 Escape crossover vehicles
Ford's 2013 crossover Escape SUV. / Ford
(AP) DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. is recalling 8,266 redesigned 2013 Escape SUVs in the U.S. to fix carpet padding that could get in the way of braking.
Ford says that wrongly-positioned carpet padding could reduce space around the pedals and cause drivers to hit the side of the brake pedal when switching from the accelerator.
The auto maker told the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration that dealers will remove the carpet padding and replace a console trim panel at no charge.
The recall is expected to begin July 23.
Ford sold 28,500 Escapes last month, up 28 percent from June 2011.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- Chrysler expected to make Jeep recall refusal official
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- NSA-style spying has been around for years
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- The Internship: 6 real-life lessons from the movie
- What questions should you ask at a job interview?