Ford recalls 2013 Escape crossover vehicles
Ford's 2013 crossover Escape SUV. / Ford
(AP) DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. is recalling 8,266 redesigned 2013 Escape SUVs in the U.S. to fix carpet padding that could get in the way of braking.
Ford says that wrongly-positioned carpet padding could reduce space around the pedals and cause drivers to hit the side of the brake pedal when switching from the accelerator.
The auto maker told the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration that dealers will remove the carpet padding and replace a console trim panel at no charge.
The recall is expected to begin July 23.
Ford sold 28,500 Escapes last month, up 28 percent from June 2011.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- 4 Things Not to Buy at Costco
- When it comes to vacations, the U.S. stinks 117 Comments
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- TGI Fridays nailed for doctoring booze
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- 12 great college graduation gift ideas