Treasury prices $5B sale of AIG stock
(AP) NEW YORK - The Treasury Department is selling $5 billion worth of stock in bailed-out insurance giant American International Group Inc. (AIG) for $30.50 per share.
AIG will buy about $2 billion worth of the stock. The remaining $3 billion will be offered to investors in a public offering. The government may sell another 24.6 million shares if there's demand for the stock.
Treasury has owned a majority of AIG since the 2008 financial crisis. AIG, based in New York, received the biggest bailout of any single company, worth a total of $182 billion.
This is Treasury's third sale of AIG shares. After the sale, Treasury will have a 63 percent stake in AIG stock.
AIG shares closed Friday at $32.83.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Bernanke sends stocks, bonds skittering
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- Bernanke holds the line on Fed monetary policy
- Microsoft slashes Surface prices to lure buyers
- Have you mastered the art of listening?
- Fed says it will continue $85B in bond purchases
- Service helps you use Twitter to find a job