Coty offers $10B for Avon Products
(AP) NEW YORK - Beauty company Coty Inc. is making a buyout offer of about $10 billion for struggling Avon Products Inc. (AVP).
Coty disclosed Monday that it is offering $23.25 per share, a 20 percent premium to Avon's Friday closing price of $19.36.
Avon's stock jumped 24.5 percent to $24.10 in premarket trading.
The company said Monday that it has been unsuccessful in engaging Avon in buyout talks. It says it offered $22.25 per share in early March. It says it is taking its bid public so shareholders would be aware of its proposal.
Coty said it has no plans of pursuing a hostile takeover, however.
Coty, known for its fragrances and nail products, says a combined company would be called Avon-Coty.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- 4 Things Not to Buy at Costco
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- 12 great college graduation gift ideas
- When it comes to vacations, the U.S. stinks 117 Comments
- TGI Fridays nailed for doctoring booze
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign