Taco Bell enters breakfast arena
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Taco Bell (YUM), the fast-food chain that caters to late-night snacking, is making a play for the breakfast crowd.
The Mexican-style restaurant chain has introduced a breakfast menu at almost 800 restaurants, mostly in nearly a dozen Western states. Thursday's rollout adds to the scramble among fast-food heavyweights competing for the morning allegiance of consumers.
Taco Bell Chief Marketing and Innovation Officer Brian Niccol says if the launch goes as expected, the chain hopes it breakfast burritos will be on store menu boards nationwide by the start of 2014.
The chain's breakfast staples include burritos stuffed with eggs and either sausage, bacon or steak; hash browns; hot or iced coffee; and orange juice.
Breakfast is the fastest-growing business in fast food, according to NPD Group.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Forbes names most powerful women 2013 10 Photos
- GM recalling 27K Cadillac SUVs; Regulators: Wheels can fall off
- Student loan defaults rising despite a way out
- Student debt repayment options offer hope
- Rent the cake? Unusual tips to cut your wedding bill
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths