Chargers fire coach Norv Turner, GM A.J. Smith
Head coach Norv Turner of the San Diego Chargers on the sidelines during a 24-21 win over the Oakland Raiders to end a 6-10 season at Qualcomm Stadium on December 30, 2012 in San Diego, California. / Photo by Harry How/Getty Images
SAN DIEGO The San Diego Chargers have fired general manager A.J. Smith and coach Norv Turner after missing the playoffs for the third straight season.
Coming after a season of stunning come-from-ahead losses and increasing fan anger, the firings complete a startling fall for a team that won the AFC West from 2006-09.
The Chargers are the third team to fire Turner, who has an overall head coaching record of 114-122-1.
Despite having what was perceived as one of the NFL's most-talented rosters for several seasons, Smith and Turner never got the Chargers to the Super Bowl.
Popular in Sports
- Ex- NFL player with ALS responds after radio hosts fired for mocking him
- Heat avoid elimination, beat Spurs in overtime, 103-100
- Aaron Hernandez questioned in death investigation
- Armstrong tweets pic with Tour de France jerseys
- Putin denies stealing Patriots Super Bowl ring
- ESPN host sparks uproar over racial RG3 comments
- Danny Green claims NBA Finals 3-pointer record, MVP next?
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized