Jets fire GM Mike Tannenbaum, coach Rex Ryan stays
Head coach Rex Ryan of the New York Jets talks with general manager Mike Tannenbaum at Jets Training Camp at SUNY Cortland on July 27, 2012 in Cortland, New York. / Photo by Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images
FLORHAM PARK, New Jersey The New York Jets have fired general manager Mike Tannenbaum and say coach Rex Ryan will be back next season.
The Jets finished 6-10 and were in constant turmoil from the moment they acquired Tim Tebow in a trade before the season.
NFL coaches, GMs sacked in firing frenzy
Jets owner Woody Johnson said in a statement Monday that "like all Jets fans, I am disappointed with this year's results."
Tannenbaum, who signed off on Tebow trade, has two years left on his contract. Tebow was brought in as a backup for Mark Sanchez but was expected to play a key role in certain offensive schemes. It never worked out.
CBSSports.com's Will Brinson says it's hard not to agree with Johnson's assessment of the situation.
"The Jets were the NFL's circus, a quarterback-lacking sideshow that didn't fail to deliver the drama week in and week out, even if it lacked a lot in terms of actual football being played," Brinson writes. "Tannenbaum, for as crafty as his cap manuevering might have looked during the two years the Jets made the AFC Championship Game, made a slew of errors pushing money into the future, namely sinking a pile of guaranteed money into quarterback Mark Sanchez."
Popular in Sports
- Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield meet again
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- March madness? NCAA fights full-court press on player pay
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- Phelps goes out in style, rallying in 100 fly
- "Blade Runner" dealt stunning loss at Paralympics