Alabama holds off Georgia 32-28, advances to Miami
Running back Eddie Lacy #42 of the Alabama Crimson Tide celebrates with teammate offensive linesman D.J. Fluker #76 after Lacy rushed for a second half touchdown against the Georgia Bulldogs during the SEC Championship Game at the Georgia Dome on December 1, 2012 in Atlanta, Georgia. / Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
ATLANTA AJ McCarron threw a 45-yard touchdown pass to Amari Cooper with 3:15 remaining, and No. 2 Alabama advanced to a national championship showdown with Notre Dame by holding off No. 3 Georgia 32-28 in a thrilling Southeastern Conference title game Saturday.
The Crimson Tide (12-1) trailed 21-10 after Alec Ogletree returned a blocked field goal for a touchdown in the third quarter.
But after Alabama surged ahead, it was Georgia (11-2) nearly pulling it out.
The Bulldogs were at the Alabama 4 after Chris Conley hauled in a short pass but the clock ran out before the Bulldogs could get off another play.
Both teams played like champions, but only the Tide is moving on to face the top-ranked Fighting Irish. Alabama finished with 350 yards rushing, an SEC title game record.
Popular in Sports
- Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield meet again
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- U.S. sprinter goes from gang life to London Games
- "Blade Runner" dealt stunning loss at Paralympics