Notre Dame now ranked No. 1
Cierre Wood of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish is chased by Kevin Johnson (right) and Chibuikem Okoro of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons at Notre Dame Stadium on November 17, 2012 in South Bend, Indiana. Notre dame defeated Wake Forest 38-0. / Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
NEW YORK Notre Dame is No. 1 and Alabama is No. 2 in The Associated Press college football poll, moving to the top of the rankings after Oregon and Kansas State were upset Saturday night.
The Fighting Irish are No. 1 for the first time since Nov. 14, 1993. The Fighting Irish were a unanimous No. 1, getting all 60 first-place votes.
They are a victory against rival Southern California away from completing a perfect regular season and playing in the BCS championship game Jan. 7 in Miami.
A week after being upset as the No. 1 team, Alabama is back to No. 2, taking advantage of the two big upsets.
The Ducks had been No. 1 but fell in overtime to Stanford. Kansas State was No. 2 when it was beaten at Baylor.
Popular in Sports
- Iran and U.S. wrestling teams meet in NYC
- Upset at the Preakness Stakes
- Golf champion and CBS analyst Ken Venturi dies
- Alabama's $30,000 crystal BCS trophy shattered
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- Ravens survive 49ers, blackout to win Super Bowl