Kansas State, Oregon on course for BCS title meetup
Collin Klein #7 of the Kansas State Wildcats runs for a touchdown against the TCU Horned Frogs at Amon G. Carter Stadium on November 10, 2012, in Fort Worth, Texas. / Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
NEW YORKKansas State and Oregon are now on course to play for the BCS national championship.
After Alabama was upset by Texas A&M, the new BCS standings have the Wildcats (.9674) first and the Ducks (.9497) second.
Notre Dame (.9396) is third, not too far behind, but most likely in need of a loss by Oregon or Kansas State to reach the title game on Jan. 7 in Miami.
- A&M shakes up national title race by beating Bama
- More college football rankings
- Full college football coverage from CBSSports.com
The Notre Dame coach made his case on Sunday for a Top 2 spot in the polls that would allow the Fighting Irish to play for a national championship. Oregon and Kansas State may be getting a lot of attention with their high-powered offenses, but Kelly said Notre Dame's defense is every bit as impressive.
"Each team has their own distinctions. The distinction of this football team is it's the No.1 scoring defense in the country," he said on a conference call with reporters a day after a 21-6 victory over Boston College helped the Irish move up to No. 3 in The Associated Press Top 25.
"It's proven that against very, very good teams all year. ... If you look at national championship-caliber football, you've got to look at a defense, and so that's why we feel strongly that our football team has put themselves in the discussion. We'll let others decide, but I think we've played our way into the discussion."
As for Alabama's run at three championships in four seasons, and the Southeastern Conference's string of six straight BCS titles, both need help to continue.
The official BCS standings:
1. Kansas State
3. Notre Dame
8. Texas A&M
9. South Carolina
10. Florida State
16. Oregon State
19. Southern California
20. Louisiana Tech
21. Texas Tech
24. Oklahoma State
Popular in Sports
- Bay Area hosting 50th Super Bowl
- Upset at the Preakness Stakes
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Golf champion and CBS analyst Ken Venturi dies
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Super Bowl ticket prices: A historical look
- Female NFL hopeful kicker injured in tryout