Jockey Richard Hughes beats 10,000-1 odds, wins seven races in one day
Richard Hughes in this file photo dated October 6, 2012, at Newmarket, England. / PA,AP Photo / Nigel French
WINDSOR, England Irish jockey Richard Hughes won seven of the eight races at Windsor Racecourse on Monday, a feat that totaled combined odds of 10,168-1.
Bookmaker Paddy Power says Hughes cost it about $1.2 million, with one person winning $136,400.
Hughes won the first race on board 13-8 joint-favorite Pivotal Movement and the second with 5-2 favorite East Texas Red.
Further victories came on Embankment (7-1), Magic Street (4-1 favorite) and Links Drive Lady (5-2 favorite).
After finishing third on Ever Fortune, Hughes was back to winning half an hour later on Duke Of Clarence (7-4 favorite) before rounding off an unforgettable day on Mama Quilla (15-8).
Jockey Frankie Dettori won seven races in a day at Ascot in 1996.
Popular in Sports
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger Woods for "fried chicken" remark
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Phelps wins record 19th Olympic medal
- ESPN pulls Hank Williams Jr. over Obama remark
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- "60 Minutes" stands by Lance Armstrong report
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural