Bumgarner, Scutaro deliver as Giants win NL West
San Francisco Giants' Pablo Sandoval, left, sprays Champagne during a television interview after the Giants defeated the San Diego Padres to win the National League West Division title after a baseball game, Saturday, Sept 22, 2012, in San Francisco. The Giants won 8-4. / Pool,AP Photo/Ben Margot
(AP) SAN FRANCISCO - Madison Bumgarner pitched San Francisco to its second NL West title in two years and newcomer Marco Scutaro had three hits and three RBIs in the Giants' 8-4 win over the San Diego Padres on Saturday night.
The Giants captured their eighth divisional crown wrapping it up once again with a victory over the Padres in front of their home fans, just as they did on the season's final day in 2010 on the way to an improbable World Series championship.
Brandon Belt homered leading off the eighth to give the sellout crowd of 42,418 one more thing to stand and cheer about in a season full of such moments.
Popular in Sports
- Ex- NFL player with ALS responds after radio hosts fired for mocking him
- Aaron Hernandez questioned in death investigation
- Heat avoid elimination, beat Spurs in overtime, 103-100
- Armstrong tweets pic with Tour de France jerseys
- Putin denies stealing Patriots Super Bowl ring
- ESPN host sparks uproar over racial RG3 comments
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- Danny Green claims NBA Finals 3-pointer record, MVP next?