3 charged in attack on Wisconsin Badgers star RB Montee Ball
Running back Montee Ball (28) of the Wisconsin Badgers breaks through the Utah State Aggies defense for a touchdown in the third quarter September 15, 2012 at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin. / Photo by Tom Lynn/Getty Images
(CBS/AP) MADISON, Wis. - Three University of Wisconsin students have been charged in attack on Badgers' running back Montee Ball.
Wendell Venerable, Robert Wilks and Deonte Wilson appeared in Dane County Circuit Court on Monday where a judge continued their signature bonds. A criminal complaint says Ball was kicked and punched Aug. 1 as he walked in Madison. The complaint says a friend interrupted the attack when she threw herself over Ball on the ground.
Prosecutors say witnesses identified the three men, all 21, by looking at surveillance video from a nearby apartment building. WKOW-TV reports witnesses told investigators they heard the attackers say they planned to target football players in retaliation for a previous fight at a party when one of them was hurt.
Last month, Ball said he felt "blessed" to be able to walk away from the attack.
"Obviously I walked away from that after the hospital but not upset anymore. Perfectly fine, perfectly content, and honestly just ready to forget about it," Ball said.
Popular in Sports
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield meet again
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural
- Phelps goes out in style, rallying in 100 fly
- Lance Armstrong sells Texas estate for millions
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates