Zack Greinke traded from Brewers to Angels
Milwaukee Brewers' Zack Greinke throws in the first inning of a baseball game with the Philadelphia Phillies, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, in Philadelphia. / AP Photo/Tom Mihalek
(AP) ANAHEIM, Calif. - Zack Greinke has been traded by the Milwaukee Brewers to the Los Angeles Angels for rookie shortstop Jean Segura and two minor league pitchers.
The Angels also sent right-handers Ariel Pena and RHP Johnny Hellweg to Milwaukee in the deal announced Friday night before Los Angeles played Tampa Bay.
By landing Greinke, Los Angeles acquired perhaps the most prized pitcher available before Tuesday's trade deadline. The 2009 AL Cy Young Award winner is 9-3 with a 3.44 ERA in 21 starts for Milwaukee this season.
The 28-year-old right-hander can become a free agent after the World Series.
Popular in Sports
- Upset at the Preakness Stakes
- Golf champion and CBS analyst Ken Venturi dies
- Phil Ivey skips World Series of Poker in protest
- Decisive win at muddy Kentucky Derby
- Iran and U.S. wrestling teams meet in NYC
- Sheriff: Ex-NASCAR driver Dick Trickle dead at 71
- Warrant issued for former NFL player Chad Johnson
- Commentary: 5 myths about Ray Lewis' murder trial