I'll Have Another wins Preakness
I'll Have Another (9), ridden by Mario Gutierrez, beats Bodemeister, ridden by Mike Smith, to the finish line to win the 137th Preakness Stakes horse race at Pimlico Race Course, Saturday, May 19, 2012, in Baltimore. / AP Photo/Mike Stewart
(AP) BALTIMORE - I'll Have Another overtook Bodemeister down the straight to win the Preakness Stakes and keep alive his hopes of winning the U.S. Triple Crown.
In a race that was a virtual repeat of the Kentucky Derby, I'll Have Another raced from behind on Saturday to beat pace-setter Bodemeister, who also finished second in the Derby.
I'll Have Another now has a chance to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978. The Belmont Stakes, the last of the Triple Crown races, is on June 9.
Trainer Doug O'Neill won his first Kentucky Derby two weeks ago, and this win was his first in the Preakness.
I'll Have Another covered the 1 3/16 miles (1,900 meters) in 1:55.94.
The winner, second-favorite behind Bodemeister, paid $8.40, $3.80 and $2.80. Bodemeister returned $3.20 and $2.80, and Creative Cause paid $3.60 to show.
Popular in Sports
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger Woods for "fried chicken" remark
- ESPN pulls Hank Williams Jr. over Obama remark
- Phelps wins record 19th Olympic medal
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural
- Lance Armstrong admits doping to Oprah
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized