Former PGA golfer arrested in underage sex sting
Steve Thomas hits his tee shot on the first hole during the final round of the AT&T Champions Classic on March 15, 2009 at Valencia Country Club in Valencia, California. / Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
KISSIMMEE, Fla. - A former PGA golfer is among 40 suspects arrested in central Florida as part of an underage sex sting operation.
Osceola County Sheriff's detectives said Tuesday that pro golfer Steve Thomas was charged with traveling to seduce an underage girl and using a computer to entice a legal guardian or parent to commit sex acts on an underage girl.
There was no telephone listing for Thomas at the Meridian, Miss., address he gave detectives and he couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday.
Thomas played one season on the PGA Tour, had one top-10 finish and won $25,781. He last played on the Champions Tour, the PGA's senior circuit, in 2010.
Also arrested during the weeklong sex sting operation were a Gainesville swim instructor, an eighth-grade teacher and eight college students.
Popular in Sports
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield meet again
- "Egyptian Popeye" says 31-inch arms all-natural
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- Phelps goes out in style, rallying in 100 fly
- Lance Armstrong sells Texas estate for millions