Schieffer: Hey, guys, the ladies are beating you
(CBS News) So the military has decided to let women who qualify join combat units and everyone is talking about what a good thing that is for women.
I have a slightly different take. I think it is a good thing for the military.
I'm sorry guys, but we're not doing all that well these days. Maybe you haven't noticed, but for years now, women have been outperforming men at every level from elementary school to graduate school. There are still more men running companies, but there are more and more women moving into top jobs every day, and how could it be otherwise?
Women are now the majority on college campuses, more of them graduate, and more of them earn masters degrees. Last year hedge funds run by women did better than those managed by men.
If current trends hold, by mid-century the majority of doctors in this country will be women.
There are still more guys than women hanging out in sports bars. And at the risk of interrupting their game, it might be a good idea to check out what these ladies are up to.
If for no other reason, they're probably going to be your boss. It won't hurt to figure out what impresses them.
- Bob Schieffer
Bob Schieffer is CBS News' chief Washington correspondent and anchor of Face the Nation.Follow on Twitter »
- President at a crossroads
- AP president blasts "unconstitutional" phone records probe
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama
- Gates knocks "cartoonish" Benghazi criticism
- Bob Schieffer on "dumb and dumber" in Washington
- Face the facts: A fact check on gas prices
- May 19: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- Official: We knew Benghazi was a terrorist attack "from the get-go"
- Drones have not "made us any safer," argues Amnesty leader
- Schieffer: "Welcome to dumb and dumber" in Washington
- Face the Nation transcripts May 12, 2013: Gates, Pickering, Ayotte, Durbin, and Angelou
- Face the Nation transcripts May 19, 2013: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- Face the Nation: Local Listings
- Roberts switched views to uphold health care law
- Obama cultivating "culture of cover-ups and intimidation," Cornyn says