Aurora mayor: Some victims in "bad shape"
(CBS News) Nine people remain in critical condition after Friday's mass shooting, Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan said on "Face the Nation" on Sunday.
He also said they are in "bad shape."
"There are people who have had already numerous surgeries, numerous brain surgeries. There are some folks that are in bad shape," he told host Bob Schieffer. "Some of these victims... are going to be paralyzed for life."
He said the mood of the town is not yet angry, but in mourning. "But no one's bitterly angry, at least not yet.
"I think, you know, we're starting now to go through that grieving process, and I think some of that will come out, but not yet," he said.
Hogan said a process to provide donations is being set up because some of the victims don't have health insurance. "So any financial support would be greatly appreciated," he said.
He added: "We've heard from literally the world, and I'm thankful for that. And we'll get back to everybody and say thank you."
- Leigh Ann Caldwell
Leigh Ann Caldwell is a political reporter for CBSNews.com.Follow on Twitter »
- Bob Schieffer on "dumb and dumber" in Washington
- Schieffer: "Welcome to dumb and dumber" in Washington
- Face the Nation transcripts May 19, 2013: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- AP president blasts "unconstitutional" phone records probe
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama
- May 19: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- Gates knocks "cartoonish" Benghazi criticism
- Face In the News: Pfeiffer defends Obama administration
- Pruitt: Justice Department's seizure of AP phone records "unconstitutional"
- Obama cultivating "culture of cover-ups and intimidation," Cornyn says
- Official: We knew Benghazi was a terrorist attack "from the get-go"
- Maya Angelou recalls her childhood on Mother's Day
- Face the Nation transcripts May 12, 2013: Gates, Pickering, Ayotte, Durbin, and Angelou
- Noonan: Petraeus resignation "mysterious"
- Watergate: "A scandal that brought down the president"
- Pfeiffer: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't "distract" White House