Cornel West and Tavis Smiley: Poverty in America threatens democracy
(CBS News) PBS talk show host Tavis Smiley said on "Face the Nation" Sunday that poverty in America "threatens our very democracy," and that it threatens our national security.
Smiley and Princeton Professor Cornel West, co-authors of the new book The Rich and the Rest of Us (Smiley Books), talked to host Bob Schieffer about how half of Americans - 150 million people - are poor, which they defined as living one or two paychecks away from poverty.
"There seems to be a bipartisan consensus in this town - and you know how hard that is to do - but a bipartisan consensus that the poor just don't matter, that poverty is just not an important issue," Smiley said. "We cannot abide another campaign for the White House where the issue of poverty isn't raised higher on the American agenda."
West said the face of poverty is changing. "We've got a significant number of white brothers and sisters," he said, including those who were formerly middle class. "The public face now [is] white, more and more white middle class."
Smiley said poverty is not color-coded: "This is not a black problem or a brown problem," he said. "This is a societal crisis right now."
West said the political system is to blame: "We've got a political system that's broke and, you know, both parties tied to big money, and so the problem is we make our choices relative to those two parties, or we offer third party possibilities. . . . But most importantly we need a massive job program. We need an investment in education, quality jobs and housing. Do away with discourse about austerity, [and] focus on massive investment, research and development, infrastructure, and job creation."
"We've got to do something about this imbalance between public and private. Housing, schools and prisons now under private control basically. We are a better nation, we can do better, starting with a White House conference on the eradication of poverty in this country."
To watch the entire interview click on the video player above.
- Leigh Ann Caldwell
Leigh Ann Caldwell is a political reporter for CBSNews.com.Follow on Twitter »
- Bob Schieffer: Edward Snowden is no hero
- Obama doesn't think NSA violated Americans' privacy, WH says
- Face the Nation transcripts June 16, 2013: McDonough and Rogers on NSA surveillance
- June 16: McDonough, Rogers & more
- Congress not yet likely to approve Syrian arms aid, Rogers says
- Roberts switched views to uphold health care law
- Schieffer to Snowden: Come home, face the consequences
- Rep. Cummings: Proof clears WH of IRS targeting scandal
- NSA programs may be legal, but are they ethical?
- Face In the News: Denis McDonough defends NSA
- Ayotte announces key support for Senate immigration bill
- NSA surveillance: Is there adequate oversight?
- Face the facts: A fact check on gas prices
- Face the Nation transcripts June 9, 2013: Ayotte, Gillibrand, Speier, Cummings, McCaul & Dingell
- Face the Nation transcripts May 19, 2013: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- Bob Schieffer