Bob Schieffer: Just how bad is "moderate"?
I love to vote but I never tell anyone who I vote for - not even my wife. Nor do I advocate for or against anyone.
So don't take this as support or opposition to any of the candidates. But when I saw a voter quoted the other day as saying one of the candidates was "just too moderate," I had to wonder: How can anyone be TOO MODERATE?
Is moderate - like compromise - a new dirty word?
With all these labels being flung about I went to the dictionary for a campaign year review.
Well, it turns out moderate is defined as "avoiding extremes... calm... temperate."
Can any thing or anyone be too much of that?
And I hope liberals who derisively brand others "conservative" and conservatives who are proud to be called just that will not be surprised to know that one definition of conservative is "one marked by moderation."
And those who derisively brand their political enemies "liberal" may be unaware the dictionary defines liberal as "generous and open-minded."
I offer this information as a public service. If we're going to call people names, it does help to know what we're calling them.
And by the way, I also looked up to the term "Christian." The dictionary says it has to do with Jesus, and links it to no particular political party.
I thought I was right about that!
- Bob Schieffer
Bob Schieffer is CBS News' chief Washington correspondent and anchor of Face the Nation.Follow on Twitter »
- Bob Schieffer: Edward Snowden is no hero
- Obama doesn't think NSA violated Americans' privacy, WH says
- Face the Nation transcripts June 16, 2013: McDonough and Rogers on NSA surveillance
- June 16: McDonough, Rogers & more
- Congress not yet likely to approve Syrian arms aid, Rogers says
- Roberts switched views to uphold health care law
- Rep. Cummings: Proof clears WH of IRS targeting scandal
- NSA surveillance: Is there adequate oversight?
- Face In the News: Denis McDonough defends NSA
- Schieffer to Snowden: Come home, face the consequences
- Ayotte announces key support for Senate immigration bill
- Face the Nation transcripts May 19, 2013: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- NSA programs may be legal, but are they ethical?
- Ex-ambassador: U.S., Iran at war in 2013
- FTN Page 2: June 16
- Bob Schieffer