Commentary: Two lines at heaven's gate
Some thoughts on this day of love that came to me after waiting on a plane at the Orlando Airport.
I had a dream the other night, 'bout what heaven's gate might be like and it was like an airport, boarding planes.
Yes, the Pearly Gates had two lanes -- first class to the left everybody else on the right.
In that first class lane, some I hadn't seen before
No old school ties. Some downright poor.
Like the widow who gave her last mite.
To one who needed it more.
Oh they waved her right through that first class door.
With the man who turned the other cheek
And the woman who forgave a thief
And the fella who stooped to help a child who had no food to eat.
I didn't see a bold face name
Or those that hunger after fame.
But that gate keeper knew all their faces
He was on a first name basis
With those he waved through heaven's door.
Now I hate to add this to our song but the second line was mighty long
Cheaters, schemers, lying lovers
Those who write down the faults of others
Saw a politician that I knew and yeah a journalist or two
A banker and a hedge fund czar
Up there, no one knows who they are.
A creep, a con, an operator
With blackberry set on vibrator
He's waiting now to get the call
To find out if it is his fate
To be stuck forever outside the gate
Only he who rules the streets of gold
Knows for sure but I've been told
They're all dead right to have those fears
Cause I hear their line,
Hasn't moved in years.
Do you think they'll know your name up there in heaven?
Do you think you'll be a big celebrity?
Will you be a VIP? Or have to show ID?
Do you think they'll know your name... way up there?
From all of us here at Face the Nation, we want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Hannukah. We'll see you next year.
- Bob Schieffer
Bob Schieffer is CBS News' chief Washington correspondent and anchor of Face the Nation.Follow on Twitter »
- President at a crossroads
- Face the Nation transcripts May 19, 2013: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- May 19: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- Bob Schieffer on "dumb and dumber" in Washington
- AP president blasts "unconstitutional" phone records probe
- Maya Angelou recalls her childhood on Mother's Day
- Face the Nation transcripts May 12, 2013: Gates, Pickering, Ayotte, Durbin, and Angelou
- Face the Nation: Local Listings
- Schieffer: "Welcome to dumb and dumber" in Washington
- Face the Nation transcripts May 5, 2013: Benghazi and gay athletes - Issa, Rogers, Ruppersberger
- Face the facts: A fact check on gas prices
- Official: We knew Benghazi was a terrorist attack "from the get-go"
- Watergate: "A scandal that brought down the president"
- Gates knocks "cartoonish" Benghazi criticism
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama