Recipe: Wolfgang Puck's Crispy Potato Galette
Celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck. (CBS)
(CBS News) Chef Wolfgang Puck offered his recipe for a classic potato cake (or galette).
For more recipes visit wolfgangpuck.com.
Crispy Potato Galette with Dill Cream, Smoked Salmon and Osetra Caviar
Yield: Serves 4-6
3 organic potatoes, peeled and grated
1/2 pound clarified butter
Pinch of black pepper
1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
3 shallots, minced
5 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 bunch fresh chives, chopped
3 ounces caviar
Toss grated potatoes in 1/4 pound clarified butter. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Heat 2 non-stick saute pans over high heat until nearly smoking. Divide remaining butter between two pans. Add the potatoes evenly to each pan, and shape them into thick pancakes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then reduce heat. Saute until almost golden brown. Use a spatula to check the underside of the pancake, turn over and cook other side until golden. Remove galettes from pans and warm in a 425 degrees F. oven for 10 minutes.
Prepare dill cream: In a bowl, mix together shallots, dill, creme fraiche or sour cream, juice of 1/2 lemon and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Remove galettes from oven while still warm. Spread with dill cream and cover with slices of smoked salmon. Lightly brush the salmon with olive oil, then sprinkle with black pepper and remaining lemon juice.
Cut galettes into desired portions and garnish with chopped chives and caviar. Serve immediately.
- Dressing down a culture for refusing to dress up
- How design colors the mind
- Work spaces: Past and present
- Buildings: What's new is old
- Mark Harmon, a hero on-screen and off
- The bells are still ringing, for the last 1,000 years
- The newest thing in architecture: Something old
- The modern midwifery movement
- The benefits of multi-generational homes
- A nation of slobs?
- The psychology of design and color
- Sinkholes: The hole truth
- Just the two of us: Childless by choice
- The cost of a nation of incarceration
- Passage: Soap icon Jeanne Cooper
- The evolution of the psychoanalyst's office