Food Issue: Cider cocktail
The Sentinel, a cider cocktail from New York City's Press Lounge. (The Press Lounge)
This cider cocktail recipe comes from mixologist Chrissy Hassel at The Press Lounge in New York City.
3 oz. mulled cognac apples (see below)
3 oz. hard Foggy Ridge dry cider (or dry cider of your choice)
Scoop 3 oz. of the mulled cognac apples, retaining some of the liquid. Top with ice followed by cider. Garnish with a ground cinnamon float.
Mulled Cognac Apples
Makes 5 servings
2 lemon wedges
10 sage leaves (chopped)
4 cinnamon sticks
2 oz. simple syrup
2 oz. cognac
Chop 2 apples into cubes and place in an airtight container. Squeeze 2 lemon wedges over the apples. Mix with fresh chopped sage (10 leaves) and 4 cinnamon sticks. Top with 2 oz. simple syrup and 2 oz. cognac.
Let the mixture sit for at least six hours (preferably 12) at room temperature. Now you are ready to batch it with the cider!
For simple variations, add a dash of ground cloves or ground cinnamon for a spicier finish.
For more info:
- The Press Lounge, New York City
For more recipes from this year's "Food Issue" click here!
- Mark Harmon, a hero on-screen and off
- Up next, recap and links
- Preview: Lopez on fashion line: "It has to be me"
- The dignity of Sidney Poitier
- Passage: Soap icon Jeanne Cooper
- The modern midwifery movement
- Former CBS News correspondent Jan Petersen dies at 63
- The popularity of "Mommy Porn"
- Childless: Couples who choose not to have children
- Just the two of us: Childless by choice
- The end of an era for the "Gatsby house"
- Natalie Maines: Going solo with "Mother"
- A new hope for back pain sufferers?
- Sinkholes: The hole truth
- Suze Orman: 3 keys to your financial happiness
- Google's Eric Schmidt and the New Digital Age