Transcript: Gabrielle Giffords' statement at Senate gun hearing
Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' full statement before the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence, Wednesday, January 30, 2013:
"Thank you for inviting me here today. This is an important conversation for our children, for our communities, for Democrats, and Republicans.
"Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important.
Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying - too many children. We must do something.
"It will be hard. But the time is now. You must act. Be bold. Be Courageous. Americans are counting on you. Thank you."
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong"
- House passes GOP bill to speed Keystone XL pipeline approval
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- Amid scrutiny of commerce pick, White House confident about her fate
- Former Miss America might challenge McConnell
- Obama to view Oklahoma tornado damage Sunday