Obama shoos away an uninvited visitor
An uninvited White House guest today got a surprise shout-out from President Obama.
As he announced his nomination of former federal prosecutor Mary Jo White to chair the Securities and Exchange Commission, the president was upstaged by a determined housefly careening about the podium. Pausing his commendation, Mr. Obama took a few swats and carped, "This guy's bothering me here." The fly voyaged elsewhere.
Past intruders haven't been so lucky. In 2009, the president, during a CNBC interview, stopped in the middle of an answer and pulled a "karate kid" with a fly that was trying to steal the spotlight, crushing it against the back of his hand.
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 151 Comments
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities 77 Comments
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 259 Comments
- Next up for Obama: Major effort on climate change
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows 82 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 598 Comments
- Michelle Obama and daughters tour Berlin Play Video
- IRS readying to pay $70M in employee bonuses, senator says